Imagine the situation where you are working on a huge project and the project manager uses Windows and created a project document using Microsoft word 2007 document and send it to the whole team including you.
You can call the project manager and ask him to convert it to txt or pdft and send it to you. But, you are not going to do that. Remember.. you are a Geek . So, you have to find a way to convert it to pdf yourself without asking the project manager to convert it using his Microsoft word 2007 software.
In this article, let us review how to convert almost any file types without the need of having the original software.
There are lot of ways to convert files. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Linux command line utilities such as pdftohtml, pdftotext, ps2pdf.
- Using the export option in the original software itself to change the type of the file, such as
export as pdf in open office. And converting images between different formats using gimp.
- Specific softwares both free & paid, which might be doing conversion of a particular type to other.
But there might be cases where you will find nothing fits your file conversion requirement. In that case, you can look-up to the online file conversion tools which will definitely be a platform independent solution.
Zamzar is an online file conversion tool that converts files for free. The various types file conversion at zamzar is very impressive, provided the fact they do it for free. They convert the following types of files.
- Document formats
- Image formats
- Music formats
- Video formats
- Compressed formats
- CAD formats
The file conversion concept is very simple: Go to zamzar website and upload your source file and specify the destination file format that you want. Zamzar will automatically convert it in the background. Once the conversion is done, it will send an email to you with a link to download the converted file.
If your source file is 100MB or less you can convert it for free. In most conversion cases 100 MB is really a lot. Personally for me, there is no way my source file will go above 100 MB.
Online File Conversion Procedure
1. Upload the Source File
- Step 1. Go to zamzar.com and upload your source file. In this example, I uploaded Project-Document.docx file as shown below. You can upload a maximum of 5 files at the same time for concurrent conversion. If you want more than 5 files to be converted, repeat the same steps again.
- Step 2. Choose your destination format. In this example, I choose pdf as shown below.
- Step 3. Enter the email address where you want the link to the converted file to be sent to.
- Step 4. Click on convert to begin the conversion.
- Note: All the selected file will be displayed at the bottom under “Files to Convert” section as shown in the picture below.
2. Confirm File Conversation
Once you’ve clicked on convert, it will display the following conversion confirmation. Click on OK to accept the file conversion.
Fig: File conversation confirmation.
3. Final Confirmation Message
Once you click OK on the confirmation dialogue, it will start uploading the source file (in this example, Project-Document.docx) to the zamzar website as shown below.
Fig: Uploading the source file to zamzar for online file conversion
A file upload confirmation message will be displayed as shown below.
Fig: File upload confirmation message
4. Download the Converted File
Almost immediately after you upload the file, you’ll get an email with the following message and link to download the converted project file. The converted file will be available for you to download for 1 day.
The following file was successfully converted from docx to pdf format: Project-Document.docx
Get the Linux Sysadmin Course Now!