How to Change Ubuntu Login Keyring Password (Unlock Login Keyring)

by Ramesh Natarajan on October 21, 2011

Question: I changed the password of my Ubuntu account from System -> Preferences -> About me.

After this change password, anytime I login using the new password, my wireless doesn’t connect automatically. Instead, it prompts me a dialogue “Enter password to unlock your login keyring”, and I have to enter my old login password to get the wireless connection working. How do I fix this problem?

Answer: Anytime you change your ubuntu login password, you should also change your keyring password. If you don’t do it, it might display the following dialoge when you do certain things on your system (for example, connecting to wireless).

To change the keyring password, do the following.

Go to System -> Preferences -> Passwords and Encryption Keys, which will display the following dialogue.

From here, select “Passwords: Login” -> right-mouse click -> and select “Change Password”.

From here, you can change the new password for the login keyring as shown below.

1 Tod October 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm

How do you disable the keyring login requirement altogeather? As a home user it is redundant to log in to the system and then have to log in again on the keyring.

2 BalaC October 24, 2011 at 7:20 am

The keyring update should have been part of password change step itself. This should be marked as a big in ubuntu.

3 TimmyTom October 28, 2011 at 6:45 am

For my computer the password and encryption keys was not in system- preferences, it was actually in applications- accessories just in case anyone had a problem there

4 Schmoe July 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thank you TimmyTom for your update.

5 NINA BRENJO September 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm

and i don’t even remember my old keyring password (entered by someone else), so now i can’t change it into a new one and can’t connect to my wifi. help, please!

6 Cris September 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

On my system I had to go to Applications -> Other -> Passwords & Keys

7 gjwhiting December 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hi guys,
My problem is that its not accepting my old password, saying its incorrect… i have no idea what it could be and this is the first time ive changed my password since i installed ubuntu 12.04, so by my understanding it should still be the same as my first login password? can anyone assist me on how to change the keyring password without my old password???

8 spitzak February 2, 2013 at 12:19 am

It looks like on 12.04 you need to push the right button on the line that says “Passwords: default” rather than “Passwords: login”. I think the first line is now to change your login password, which makes more sense.

Still really a pain.

9 bruce March 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm

so i don’t know the old password for this computer, completely forgot it, any way to change it without the old password?

10 Walter September 2, 2013 at 10:25 pm

If you have installed xubuntu then you should to run seahorse