In the previous post Nagios 3.0 Jumpstart guide , I explained the overview, installation and configuration of Nagios 3.0 on Red Hat Server. In the following three chapters, I’ll explain how to monitor a remote Linux host and the various services running on the remote host. Also, please refer to all our Nagios articles.
II. 6 steps to install Nagios plugin and NRPE on remote host.
- Download Nagios Plugins and NRPE Add-on
- Create nagios account
- Install Nagios Plugins
- Install NRPE
- Setup NRPE to run as daemon
- Modify the /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
III. 4 Configuration steps on the Nagios monitoring server to monitor remote host:
- Download NRPE Add-on
- Install check_nrpe
- Create host and service definition for remote host
- Restart the nagios service