If you own a Linksys Wireless router, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade the firmware to a latest version, which may resolve lot of bugs including random dropping of wireless connections. This article explains how to upgrade to the latest firmware on your Linksys wireless router.
Also, make sure you’ve secured your wireless as mentioned in 6 Steps to Secure Your Home Wireless Network
1. Get your Wireless Router Model Number and Version Number
On the back of your wireless router, you’ll see both model number and version number for your specific linksys wireless router. The example below shows the model and version of a WRT54G wireless router.
Fig: Version Number of Linksys-Cisco WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router (Compatible with Linux)
2. Download Latest Linksys Wireless Router Firmware
Go to linksys.com -> Support -> Enter your wireless router model number (for example, WRT54GS) -> Click on ‘Get Downloads’ -> Select Version number for your wireless router -> Click on the download link under firmware section, which typically shows the following information.
- Release Date: For example, 07/01/2008
- Firmware Version Number: For example, Ver.1.52.6
- Download Size and Link. for example, 1.66 MB
- Release Notes for the new firmware
Direct Download link for :
- WRT54GS firmware
- WRT54G firmware
- WRT54G2 firmware
- WRT54GL firmware
- WRT160N firmware
- WRT110 firmware
- WRT600N firmware
3. Take a Backup of Linksys Wireless Configuration
Before the upgrade, take a backup of the current Linksys Wireless Configuration. From the web interface, go to Administration -> Config Management -> Backup -> Config.bin, Save this file to some location on your local machine.
4. Upgrade the Linksys Wireless Firmware
From the web interface, go to Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Choose the latest file that you downloaded above -> Click on Upgrade.
Once the upgrade started, do not click on any other link on the web interface. Just wait until the upgrade is completed.
Once you’ve completed the upgrade, verify your new firmware version to make sure the upgrade was successfully completed. In my case, following is the firmware version.
- Before the upgrade old Firmware Version: v1.50.5
- AFter upgrade Firmware Version: v1.52.5
Get the Linux Sysadmin Course Now!