12 Awesome Unix Custom License Plates

by Ramesh Natarajan on February 5, 2009

These geeks decided to show their appreciation towards Unix using their vehicle license plates. My favorite from this list is rm -rf *. Imagine someone who has no clue about Unix seeing this car on the road and trying to figure out what “rm -rf *” means.

Out of these 12 awesome Unix related license plates, which one do you like the most? Have you seen any Unix related license plates that I’ve missed in this list?

1. Linux Geek

su root

Photo by Tony Webster

12. rm -rf *

rm -rf *

Photo by stealthsettings.com

1 Tony Lawrence February 5, 2009 at 8:42 am

Another one for your collection comes from my http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B911.html

I don’t have it anymore – had to give it up when we leased rather than bought..

In 2004 (I had “PCUNIX” then) “IM ROOT” drove by me on the Mass. Pike – too bad someone couldn’t have caught a photo of both of us :-)

2 Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 11:58 am

the one i always wanted being a MVS systems programmer was “IEFBR14″.

this identifies one as being mainframe programmer and is somewhat of an inside joke because it’s a program the executes and DOES NOTHING!

3 Bryan I. February 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

As the long time owner of LNXFRK in Texas, I am quite proud of my fellow Linux brethren.

4 Doubletwist February 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I worked with a guy in Silicon Valley that had “GOT ROOT” as his plate.
He was a VERY good Unix Sysadmin.

5 neal February 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

the best one I’ve ever seen is a guy here at work…it says “/dev/car”

6 Tim "TJ" Bruce (kb0odu) February 5, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Driving around Portland, Oregon (yeah, the “other” Portland, as I’ve been told) is a guy driving an old 1950s – 1960s (?) Volkswagen Beetle. License plate is:

UID 0

One of these days I hope to actually get a photo…but I’m usually too busy driving.

7 Anonymous February 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm

We had a consultant at my work who drive an Audi with a license plate that said “GENTOO”. He claimed he was a penguin fan and didn’t use Linux. Yeah, right.

8 MeanAssPenguin May 4, 2009 at 11:19 am
9 Amarand Agasi June 20, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I am honored to have two of my photographs on this list. Thanks folks! <3

10 Mr Unix June 26, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I knew a UNIX admin back in 1988 who had a plate that said “f * * k y * *” – in EBCDIC.

He was a real jerk. He didn’t get a job he wanted, so he quit, but before he did that he erased the source code to a bunch of database programs, leaving just the binaries. He also “fixed” the backup tapes. I spent months writing huge awk scripts to produce new report formatting.

11 Mike May 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Found LINUX vehical plate on the side of road in New Hampshire, is anyone looking for it????

12 Wayne Walker January 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm

This is a friend of mine’s. He said once he was going to let it go. I wanted to smack him. He kept it. He’s a rarity. He writes incredibly good, clean fast Java code and understands the OS better than almost all the devs I know.