View DELL Service Tag and Express Service Code From Linux and Windows

by Ramesh Natarajan on October 24, 2008

[Dell Server]When you call DELL customer support for any help, they will ask for either Service Tag or Express Service Code. You also need service tag to download drivers and documentations from DELL support website.

When you have physical access to the system, you can easily identify the service tag affixed on the body of the server. DELL support site shows the exactly location of the service tag and express code stickers for various DELL equipments.

When you don’t have physical access to the server, you can get the same information remotely from the OS level. Using Windows or Linux command line you can easily get DELL service tag as explained below.

1. Get DELL Service Tag on remote Windows system

Login to the Windows remote-host using VNC or remote desktop connection. Use WMIC on Windows to get service tag as shown below.

C:\>wmic bios get serialnumber
SerialNumber
ABCDEF1

Following WMIC command will give make and model number along with service tag.

C:\>wmic csproduct get vendor,name,identifyingnumber
IdentifyingNumber    Name                Vendor
ABCDEF1              PowerEdge 2950      Dell Inc.

If VNC or remote desktop connection to the remote-host is not available,  execute the following from the local-host to get the service tag of the remote-host.

C:\>wmic /user:administrator /node:remote-host bios get serialnumber
SerialNumber
ABCDEF1
[Note: Replace remote-host with the machine name of your remote-host.]

2. Get DELL Service Tag on remote Linux system

Login to the Linux remote-host using SSH. Use dmidecode on Linux to get service tag as shown below.

[remote-host]# dmidecode -s system-serial-number
ABCDEF1

3. Get DELL Express Service Code From Service Tag

Service Tag is a base-36 integer.  Once you have the Service Tag, you can calculate express service code yourself. Express Service Code is base-10 decimal integer of Service Tag. Dell uses express service code mainly for their support call-routing. When you call dell support, their automated call-routing system may ask you to enter express service code, which you can easily enter in your telephone, as it is just a bunch of numbers, instead of characters.

Use the following online tools to find express service code from service tag and vice-versa.

If you own systems other than DELL, such as HP, IBM, Sony, Toshiba, Acer etc., how do you find out serial number? Does the same method explained above works for you (or) Do you use a different method to identify serial numbers? Please leave your comment.

1 Ruben October 24, 2008 at 8:52 am

Cool¡¡¡
I had a lot of problems to look for Dell’s Service Tag

2 Gagan Brahmi October 25, 2008 at 3:54 am

You can also give the type number for the information you wish to fetch.

So for getting the serial number of a machine you can use

# dmidecode –type 1

this will provide you all the information related to the machine.

3 Dan January 2, 2009 at 8:37 am

I”m not getting wmic to run remotely via psexec. Is there some way to run it without logging on via RDP?

4 Marcus April 28, 2009 at 10:42 am

Thanks a ton…just this handy tip, and it worked great.

5 Vidooshak July 22, 2009 at 6:20 am

Thanks. A very useful tip! Works great on Citrix VM as well.

6 Ramesh Natarajan July 25, 2009 at 12:31 am

@Ruben, @Marcus, @Vidooshak,

Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you were able to use this article and identify the DELL service tag and express code on your servers.

@Gagan,

Thanks for pointing out about the dmidecode command. For those who are interested, we wrote an article about dmidecode command that can be used to get the DELL service tag on Unix environment.

@Dan,

What is the error message you are getting while trying to execute wmic command?

7 Gareth November 5, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Hello people, i see here that some of you are very knowledgable regards PC’s and scripting. I have a big predicament and would appreciate any assistance; i can not find my service tag for my Dell Precision M90. It is a 2nd hand refurbished laptop, which for some reason does not have a tag number in the BIOS (F2 setup) and because it is 2nd hand Dell have no direct record of this computer and are unable to help me at all! The Company whom i bought the laptop from are being very unhelpful to! Please help me to find the TAG for my computer so that i can finally address some of the issues i have been having, which ironically it seems i can only fix through the Dell website!

Your most gratefully Gareth

8 Evan December 4, 2009 at 3:08 pm

This works well for PE 2600s and up. I have a PE 2500 that has no serial information, and I also came across two 2600s that have the same serial information.
This will work for IBM Blade servers as well, though the tag information is in a different place.
~~~~~~~~~
I created a “lazy” batch file for me. Obviously you can expand on it, but this was all i needed. I used “ABCD123″ as the serial place holder.
~~start script~~
@echo off
set mchname=
set ipaddy=
set mchname=%1
echo.
echo Host Name: %mchname%
for /f “tokens=3* delims= ” %%a in (‘ping -n 1 %mchname% ^| find /i “reply from”‘) do set ipaddy=%%a
set ipaddy=%ipaddy::=%

0000000

IdentifyingNumber Name Vendor
0000000 IBM eServer BladeCenter HS20 -[ABCD123]- IBM
~~~~~~~~

9 AHMAD February 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm

forget my hdd password on DELL 1537
hdd passwore error code is (05758)
system service tag code is (9HGR64J)

10 Ry May 21, 2010 at 9:20 am

Useful, thanks :)

11 DP August 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

What about obtaining Dell Printer Service Tags??

12 Pete September 3, 2010 at 3:33 am

Fantastic informatio. Nicely presented and very easy to follow. Thank you.

13 Duane Hamilton September 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm

These are the coolest set of commands, ever!!

14 Sarah October 4, 2010 at 2:52 pm

What if I’m not using Linux? Is there a command prompt in Windows XP I can use to accomplish the same thing?

15 imran November 3, 2010 at 4:05 am

i lost my laptop. i guess somebody has stolen it. i have the box with all the bar codes. help me how can i find my service tag number

16 Jay December 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for this, it really helped getting info on my remote servers

17 imran December 3, 2010 at 5:54 am

lost my Dell laptop. only box has left with me. there r some barcodes like
00884116004615

884116004615

0K674HA01

plz help me to find service tag number

18 Bin December 15, 2010 at 2:45 am

It works on HP blade servers. Thanks!

19 Alex December 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I have tried several variations of the commands above. I am either getting “Access Denied” or “Invalid Parameter”. Here is the way that I tried, that I belive is correct but still not working.
Start -> Run -> CMD
c:\wmic
wmic:root\cli>/node:%1 (where %1 = remote computer name)
wmic:root\cli>/user:administrator (prompts for password)
wmic:root\cli>/authority:administrator
wmic:root\cli>bios get serialnumber
Node – %1
ERROR:
Description = Invalid parameter

If I do the above without the /authority:administrator line I get
Node – %1
ERROR:
Description = Access is denied.

20 Glen March 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm

What command would get you the make, model, service tag of a remote host?

21 Alan Smith June 5, 2011 at 5:01 am

Can someone please give a phone no. for Dell Support so I can enter my service tag & download sound driver?

22 Jimmy June 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thanks a lot! I didn’t have access to the pc because they were in a meeting. I couldn’t contact them because they were in a meeting. We didn’t have the pc in our online inventory under service tag because we created the new system before they got their laptop. I knew they were logged on the network so I was able to use:
wmic /user:administrator /node:LOCALPCNAME bios get serialnumber
Worked like a charm. Asked me to log in with local password and I was able to find out the Serial so I could call for support.
Next, I used this to get the express code:

23 Xwpis ONOMA August 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Hi all!

I regret to report that it did not work for me. I am in a Win2003 server Domain enviroment and this is what I get at the cmd prompt:

Enter the password :******

Node – marketing
ERROR:
Code = 0x800706ba
Description = The RPC server is unavailable.
Facility = Win32

Interestingly enough I get that no matter what the combination of local or domain administrator password as well as the node name.

Why would the RPC server be unavailable, this PC (e.g. marketing is ON an running with no errors whatsoever.

Of course running the same command locally there is no problem at all.

Obviously it does n’t like it when it runs over the network, but why?

What gives, can you please help.

Thank you!

24 T R Rachana D/o T M Ramana. Rao November 25, 2011 at 3:39 am

I have a dell notebook whose display screen needs a replacement owing to damage. How can i get the stystem service tag pl.

25 Pashton.afg September 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

wmic /user:administrator /node:machinename bios get serialnumber
but im getting the error ”invalid global switch”

I am not an expert on this. Let me know what am i doing wrong…

26 parry January 31, 2013 at 5:04 am

can we get the DRAC IP of the server in the similar way, the way you helped in getting the Serial number of the DELL box.

wmic bios get serialnumber

27 parry January 31, 2013 at 5:05 am

Ramesh : Thanks for the post..the article is really very helpful

28 Chris May 20, 2013 at 9:20 am

@Pashton.afg

I had the same issue and I just figured out what was happening. The name cannot contain a (/ or -) so I changed it to the IP and it works. Kind of sucks having to use the IP but it does work.

29 George July 24, 2014 at 11:38 am

And just so this is out here on the web so Google can find it, here is how to get the Asset Tag and NOT the Service Tag. Everytime I searched for Asset Tag I got very few hits. They were all about the Service Tag. Anyway ….

wmic systemenclosure get SMBIOSAssetTag

We use our own barcodes on the systems and that number becomes the AssetTag.