For the past several months, I’ve been working on writing a book on the two great UNIX tools — Sed and Awk.
I’ve spend lot of sleepless nights to make this book easy to read and understand with lot of examples. It is almost complete and the book will be released very soon. Once you understand how to use Sed and Awk effectively, you’ll be knocking down lot of complex text manipulation tasks just by writing few lines of Sed or Awk code.
How can You use Sed and Awk?
- For routine editing jobs, you don’t need to open the text file in an editor and interactively make the change every time. Instead, you can create a Sed script and execute it whenever you want to make those routine edits non-interactively.
- From a text file, you can quickly generate reports using Awk scripts.
- If you have a text file that contains structured data that are stored by some other application, you can manipulate those data based on your requirement using Awk scripts.
- You can extract and massage portion of a huge log file using either Sed or Awk scripts depending on the sitaution. You can automate your log reviewing routine and look for specific log message to generate a custom report and mail it to you if required.
- If you master the Sed and Awk tools, the possibilities on how you can use them effectively are limited only by your imagination.